This course provides an understanding of the science of Positive Psychology and offers practical and
evidence-based strategies for supporting children and teacher well-being. Grounded in the SPHE
curriculum, it shows how a whole-school approach can be supported by the SSE process, with
particular reference to Well-Being in Primary Schools (DES, 2015).
This course aims to:
• Provide an understanding of the science of Positive Psychology and mindfulness;
explore the evidence available to support the benefits of positive psychology and
• Explore the benefits of enhancing well-being and, in particular, the link between well-
being, learning and successful school outcomes.
• Provide a range of evidence- based strategies that can enhance the well-being of
children and their learning in the classroom.
• Understand how each well-being intervention is grounded in the SPHE curriculum and
can be supported by the SSE process, with particular reference to Well-Being in Primary
Schools (DES, 2015)
• Explore the relationship between teacher well-being and work quality
• Consider strategies that, if applied, enhance teacher well-being.
• Provide an overview of the Weaving Well-Being Programme and explore how elements
of the programme can be implemented in the classroom setting