The aim of this course is to advance the participants’ skills and confidence in the Visual Arts and introduce them to a wide range of ideas in all the strand areas of the Visual Arts Curriculum. To enable the participants to use the skills learned as an everyday activity to benefit learning and teaching. The strands incorporate ways of working from experience, imagination and observation to enable the teacher to build on children’s natural curiosity. The confidence and enjoyment that stem from purposeful visual arts activities can have a positive effect on children’s learning in other areas of the curriculum. Learning in and through art can contribute positively to children’s sense of personal and cultural identity and to their whole development. The course will include the following:
- Clay: Exploring and discovering clay as a medium to imaginative expression
- Painting: Experiment with a variety of colour, paint, painting tools, crayons, pastels. Exploring sponge painting, finger painting and painting from observation.
- Construction: Using a variety of three dimensional materials to build a structure, making an imaginative play thing.
- Fabric and Fibre: Explore the possibilities of fabric and fibre. Weaving and making things with string, ribbons and fibre.
- Print: Making things with different tools, sponges, stamps, making prints in clay with fingers.