This course is NOT NOW RUNNING.
This course will give teachers in-depth knowledge of nutrition so that they will have the confidence and tools needed to teach Nutrition in the classroom. Teachers will be encouraged to bring the knowledge attained in this course back to both the classroom and their own family life.
With a detailed look at the current Food Pyramid teachers will get ideas on the best way to teach about the food pyramid and create one for their classroom.
Teachers will be encouraged to use approaches learned, not only for their own class, but as a whole school approach for a more health-conscious school.
This course will provide the participant with the courage and all the knowledge he/she needs to set up a Nutrition Board in school, promote healthy eating and to show leadership in his/her school around this area. Topics will include:
- The benefits of healthy eating for both teachers and pupils’ and makingf the link to both the Science curriculum and the S.P.H.E. curriculum
- The components of food/basic nutrition: Protein / Fat / Carbohydrates / Minerals / Vitamins / Water
- Designing a healthy diet using the seven key principles of the optimal health diet.
- In-depth look at the current Food Pyramid and also portion size.
- The link between healthy eating and disease prevention: Phytochemicals: examples of Anticancer Phytochemicals. Antioxidants vs. Free Radicles.
- Understanding food labels.
- A Juicing Workshop to demonstrate the ease at which vitamins, minerals and water can be incorporated the daily diet: The healing power of fruits and vegetables and the benefits of organic foods.